Animal & Bird Medical Center of Palm Harbor
Medical Database

Infectious Disease

Feline Leukemia Virus Infection

Animals Affected – Cat

General Information
Feline leukemia virus (FeLV) is one of the most common and destructive of all cat viruses. It is highly contagious and is spread primarily by saliva during cat fights or mating. In cats living in close contact for long periods, the virus may spread through grooming of one another. The virus may also spread by contact with infected blood and urine. Kittens may become infected while still in the womb, at birth when the mother bites off the umbilical cord, or during nursing.

Not all cats exposed to FeLV become permanently infected. In about 60% of exposed cats, the immune system destroys or inactivates the invading virus. Approximately 30% of exposed cats become persistently infected, and in 10% the virus becomes dormant (inactive) in some area of the body. In this last group, the virus may later become active if the cat is given certain drugs, is severely stressed, or develops another disease.

Of the cats that become persistently infected (30%), about 50% die within 6 months of diagnosis and 80% die within 3 years. While the remaining 20% may live a normal lifespan, they tend to suffer a variety of chronic illnesses.

Illness

There is no single group of signs characteristic of FeLV infection. The virus tends to damage the body in one of three ways: an uncontrolled increase of virus-altered body cells that causes tumors or leukemia of the red, white, or bone marrow cells; destruction of parent or immature blood cells that results in severely decreased numbers of the cells essential for blood clotting or red or white blood cells; or dysfunction of the immune system, resulting in life-threatening infections.

Diseases commonly associated with FeLV infection include anemia, cancer, chronic respiratory disease, chronic infection of the mouth and gums, chronic eye disease, chronic skin disease, urinary tract infections, chronic digestive tract disorders, reproductive diseases (abortions, stillbirths, kitten deaths) and other systemic diseases, such as feline infectious peritonitis, feline immunodeficiency virus infection, and toxoplasmosis.

Prevention
Vaccination before exposure to the virus is the best means of preventing FeLV infection. Without vaccination, isolation from other cats is the only means of prevention.

Important Facts

• Infected cats are at high risk for developing cancer or other life-threatening disease.
• While outdoor cats are at high risk for developing FeLV infection, indoor cats are at low risk.
• There is no uniformly effective treatment for cats infected with FeLV.

An Important Update From Animal & Bird Medical Center On COVID-19

We are committed to offering a safe and healthy environment for our clients, pets and hospital team here at Animal and Bird Medical Center. The best way to avoid becoming ill is to avoid exposure to the virus. Taking typical preventive actions is key.

In being cautious and mindful of everyone’s safety, we are actively working to minimize your exposure to crowded exam rooms and long waits in the lobby.

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made some changes to our protocols in-hospital for the time-being…

In order to limit exposure while still providing quality care for your pet, we will be implementing special protocols to keep you safe.

We will have our veterinary technicians get a history of the patient’s symptoms and owner’s concerns via phone prior to coming into the clinic.

  • Upon arrival, owners can call us from the curb in front of the clinic and we will have a technician assistant come to your car and bring your pet inside.
  • From here, your pet will be examined and the doctor will develop a treatment plan which he will then communicate via phone with the owner.
  • At the end of the visit, an invoice will be brought out to your car and payment can be taken via phone.

Our goal is for you to be able to bring your pet in for medical care but have no risk for you or our dedicated staff of transmitting the COVID-19 virus.

The Doctors and staff are dedicated to making sure your pet’s medical needs are taken care of during this national crisis.

We can still fill prescriptions for pick up, however, for those who prefer, non-narcotic and non-urgent prescriptions can be mailed to your home.

As always, careful hand-washing and other infection control practices can greatly reduce the chance of spreading any disease.